Monday, November 15, 2010

Sunday

It was a really good Sunday. First I ventured out to the river. I walked two hours and still didn't get to it. There must be a better way. The way I went there was no way to cross the expressway to get to the river on the other side. I saw it though! ;)

Later I met with all the other girl teachers and went tourist shopping with them. It was a fun little area that we went too. It was mostly just trinket shops, but a parade of some sort of tribal Koreans went by playing the drums. Hah! We also went to a Buddhist temple. That was pretty interesting to see.

In the afternoon, I met Angie, a Spring Arbor grad. We also worked together at camp for a couple of years. Man was it good to see her. It was just nice to talk with someone who already knows me! She took me to her English church. IT WAS AWESOME! I will definitely be going back. It was huge! Then we went out to dinner at a Mexican restaurant (imagine that!) and out for ice cream.

It is so good to be in a different country. I really don't realize how self-centered I am until I'm out of my element. In the sermon, he was talking about the persecution of Christians in the world. He talked a lot about North Korea and how Christians are not accepted there. It was interesting to hear this Korean pastor talk about the way that the American church is viewed. He commented that the American church focuses on the wealth and prosperity gospel. (Boy to we have a bad reputation. But is it far from the truth?) He said that as Christians, our number 1 goal should not be comfort, but to count it all as joy when we suffer! Wow.

It was so good to be in church. I really hope to get involved and make friends there. I think I will also take Korean lessons at this church. They're free, I'd learn Korean and meet people. Perfect.

1 comment:

Daniel said...

Was the restaurant in Itaewon? We went to a really good one there; the wait staff was awesome! Is your church service in English or does someone translate?