Friday, July 3, 2009

The Great Wall

The other day we went to the Great Wall of China. That is my first check off the list of the 7 wonders of the world. It was very cool. It really didn’t look much like the pictures that I’d seen on the internet, although it was beautiful. It was a perfect day, not too hot and not too sunny. We hiked up to the highest point in that section. The wall is broken down in many parts. The whole wall is 3000 miles! There are only a few parts of it that are preserved enough to hike on. It’s hard to believe that the soldiers actually climbed up the wall everyday. It was pretty tough! I learned that it was built to keep out the Mongols, although it didn’t exactly work. They mostly used it to warn the city that an attack was coming. The first parts of the wall were built before Jesus was born!
I got my assignments today on what I am going to be doing when the students come. First, I will eat breakfast with the students, then I go to class. I am an assistant teacher, because they wanted one older teacher with one younger teacher. In the afternoon, I will be teaching the music club. I am really excited about this, because me and another guy get to teach the Chinese about the different styles/ genres of music, such as jazz, blues, hip hop, country etc. Also we teach them some of the classics, like YMCA, Chicken dance and others. It will be pretty fun.

No comments: