Friday, July 10, 2009

Visiting

Yesterday when I sat down for dinner, I bowed my head to pray before I ate. Chinese students don’t really ever do this, so they noticed right away what I was doing. After I began eating, the girl across from me said, “Sara, are you a Christian?” On the very first day, she asked me if I was a Christian! How cool. Then yesterday at dinner while I was praying, another girl said to her friend, “She’s praying…” Neither one of the students really said much after these comments, but I hope that they will ask me later.
I love what I am doing! Is it possible to love my students in just 2 days? Last night I went over to the students’ dorm to visit some of my students. I was walking down the hall trying to find a room, when one of my students from behind me said, “Sara, are you looking for me!?” Well, I wasn’t really, but I pretended like I was. She took me into her room, and I sat and talked with her and her roommates for a whole hour! It’s so funny how girls are the same in any country. We just sat and laughed and laughed about silly things. It’s cool that when you are with people all day long, you can get to know them in just a few days. They gave me a peach, washed it and peeled it for me. When I finally left, they gave me two more peaches, one for me and one for my roommate. In class today I was given another. I now have a pile of peaches on my desk! It’s almost hard to receive a gift from them, when I know that they have so little.
I know they bought the fruit for themselves, yet they are giving them to me. They are so giving!
This trip so far is way more that I thought it was going to be! The students make everything worth it.

1 comment:

Vicki Aeschliman said...

Sara, thank you for blessing us with your blog. I am truly enjoying it. I don't like to travel but I get to visit China through your eyes. How cool.