Wednesday, July 15, 2009

It's All in a Days work:)

Hello! Not much is new around here, that's why I haven't written in a few days. This past weekend, we had off, so I got to go with others to do some sightseeing. We went to the Forbidden City, Tian'amen Square, and the Temple of Heaven. The Forbidden City was the place were all of the Chinese royals used to live, and so it was forbidden to the common people. Tian'amen Square is the place of the massacre in 1989. Thousands of university students protested here because they didn't like the new communist ways. The communists didn't like their protests, and therefore killed them all. It's pretty hard to believe that things like that really happen. And we went to the Temple of Heaven. I'm actually still not sure what that is! :)
Yesterday, one of my students asked me if I was a Christian! She asked me, "What do you think about when you pray before a meal?" I was able to share a little bit about what I believe. Surprisingly, she already knew much of it, because their English teachers in elementary school teach them some of the Christian ideas to learn about culture. She was actually very interested. I asked her if she knew anyone that was a Christian, and she said no. Wow! She had never even heard of anyone in China being a Christian.
They are all about happiness here. Everything they do, they want to be happy. Something cute they say is, "We wish you happy everyday." Everything is also about comfort. They all say that they want to have a happy, comfortable life for their children. I'm learning more and more how different the culture and mindset of the Chinese are.

No comments: