Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Out on the Town!

Today is our first day out of quarantine. I am sitting in an internet cafe in downtown Beijing. Being in the city is a WHOLE different experience. It is crazy! It is really fun trying to maneuver around without knowing Chinese. I am trying to use many of the phrases that we've learned, but most of the time they just laugh at me :) I was walking through the city a few minutes ago with a group, and a man came up to me and said in his broken English, "Excuse me..." and then he turned to his friend and they walked off snickering and looking back at me. They try to practice their English any time that they get a chance. I am amazed that there are many of the same stores and brand names in China as in America. In the city, it is very civilized, but where we are staying, right on the outskirts of the city, I am amazed at all of the trash and dirt everywhere. I would like to see the country, because I hear that it is like nothing we have ever seen. The ladies here all walk around with umbrellas, because to them, the whiter skin is more beautiful. Too bad I wasn't born here! ;) I'd be all set. On our campus and the surrounding area, everywhere I go I am stared at because of my blonde and curly hair (I am wearing it curly because it is so humid). It is very hot here. Not many places are air conditioned. Tomorrow we will go to the Great Wall! That will be fun :)
I will be using the following email address while in China : sarahornback@gmail.com

2 comments:

Marilyn said...

Sara: I am so glad you are finally out of quarantine. I am so proud of you and your strength. I look forward to following you on this journey. Love, Aunt Marilyn

Vicki Aeschliman said...

I didn't know your hair was curly. I'm floored! Be careful and enjoy yourself. Thanks for doing a blog Sara