Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The huge scarfs all make sense now

The Korean girls all wear enormous scarfs with their winter coats. At first I just thought this was a fashion statement. So of course, in order to go along with the fashion, I bought one last weekend. Well, I found out this week that it is not just for fashion. It is super practical in 3 degree weather!! Yes, it was 3 degrees on Monday morning. So my BIG scarf has come in very handy! The Koreans use it to cover their mouth and noses too cause it's so cold. The funny thing is, they wear their huge scarfs with mini-skirts. I would think their legs would freeze! I almost needed to help a girl stay upright yesterday because she was wearing stiletto heels when it was snowing pretty hard. Then I thought, "I guess I shouldn't hold on to her. I might take her down with me when I fall!" I don't think she'd be very happy about that! When I asked my Korean supervisor if this is normal Korean weather she said, "Oh no! It's because of global warming..." Oh....hmmmm. Not quite sure how that works :)

My students are increasingly curious about me. They must think that because I am white, I am different than them. I am realizing it is dangerous to wear a skirt at school because they always try to look up it! They also try to lift up my shirt! What in the world? Yes, my belly button looks just like theirs... Yesterday one of my girls drew on me with her marker. A kindergarten teacher comes home very dirty at the end of a day!

So, it's all in the works now that I will be moving to a new school and new apartment. I am actually starting to get excited. I saw pictures of the school and it looks awesome! My new students will be first year Kindergarteners, 4 and 5, and come to my class in March knowing NO English. Ah, what I job I have cut out for me! I think it will be really rewarding though. The move is at the end of February when the Korean school year ends and a new one begins. I'm sure the move will give me a lot of funny things to blog about :)

2 comments:

S.Hornback said...

That's funny sara. The kids in Haiti (and some adults too) were curious if I was white under my clothes too. It's funny being on the other side...

Good luck with your move. We know how it feels :)

Sara Andrews said...

Yeah it is :) I think my move will be a bit easier than yours ;) Good luck with everything!