Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Do I look Korean Yet?







Today was Traditional Manners Day at school! We all got to wear the Korean dress, called Hanbok. The kids learned to bow and drink tea properly. I learned too!





















Apparently I put the dress on all wrong because one of the Korean helper ladies frustratedly took it off me and put it on the "right" way! Whoops.
In my second grade class today, one of the kids called me an ajuma, which means an older woman. I said, "I am not an ajuma!" One kid said, "You are small small old..." I laughed. One of the girls stood up for me and said, "No, no. She is under 25 so she is not old. You are old when you are 26!" Whew, still got a few good years to go! :)
One of my kindergarteners said to me today, "You are a bad teacher!" Of course I told him that he cannot say that to me because it is a mean thing to say. I think he meant to say that he was angry with me. I think I am learning a bit about what parenting will be like through teaching. Sometimes I make the students angry because I tell them no. Of course I don't like it when they are angry with me, but sometimes I cannot let them do what they themselves want to do. I suppose this is like a parent looking out for their child's own good. The kid doesn't realize how what they are doing is actually harming them. Thankfully little kids only hold the grudge for about 2 minutes and then they are hugging me again... I guess I am learning a lot about God through teaching too. When He says no, I must respect that and know that He knows best. He will even let me be mad at him for a time, knowing that later I will see the reasoning behind why He said no, and thank him for it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Sara,

I've been meaning to write back to you on Facebook. Your mom told me about your blog! I thought I'd check it out. Ive super busy, Im at cornerstone, teach spinning, and much much more.

Sounds like youre having a great time!

Ann-Young-hae-sae-yo!

Well something like that, thats how it sounds!

Ill be in touch very soon via the book-face.

Best wishes,

-Margaret

Vicki Aeschliman said...

I love your analogy about God! It is so true. Sorry Sara you still don't look Korean :)