Monday, February 28, 2011

The man in the box

So, they turned off my internet last Wednesday in order to settle the bills before I move. The computers are not hooked up at the new school yet because everything is being moved around, so I've been going to a coffee shop every day to check my email. Let's just say I've been drinking a lot of coffee, and I've been rotating coffee shops because the workers know me now... :) In fact, a few minutes ago when I ordered, the girl gave me a discount because I've come in so much! How embarrassing!

Today was my first day at the new school. It was pretty good. Everyone was pretty friendly. I am taking over another girl's classroom because she is moving to a new classroom. She hadn't taken anything down, so pretty much my whole day was spent taking down her things, putting up some of my own and trying to figure out new systems of how things work. It was a little overwhelming, but I guess that's to be be expected at a new job. I put up my own things and made some new decorations, so I feel like it's my classroom now. The new school is really nice and everything is pretty new and clean. It's a whole lot better set up than my old school.

It's probably not a good sign that when I asked one of the other girls if her apartment had a dryer she laughed in disbelief... hah. So, I guess that means no dryer! I don't really dry many things anyway. She said it's small, basic and that her apartment doesn't have mold...but some of the other co-workers' apartments do. Shoot, I didn't even think about that! So, I'm hoping mine doesn't either! Well I was kind of getting excited about the move, thinking that it'll be fun to decorate a new place and start over again...but now I'm a little leery. Oh well, it will be ok whatever it is. When I came to Korea, one of my thoughts was that I wanted to live as simply as possible for a year. Well, here is my chance!

I'm really going to miss our door man (who we affectionately call the "man in the box"). He's always so friendly and gives me the "thumbs up" as I walk by the door. Maybe my new place with have a good "man in the box" too. Tomorrow I don't have to work because it's Korea's independence day, Wednesday I only work half a day and then Thursday the new kids come. With no school tomorrow, I am hanging out with Angie one last time because she leaves for America this weekend... :(

2 comments:

Vicki Aeschliman said...

Hi Sara, I hope your apt is nice. I know I would have a hard time if it wasn't. Of course I never could have packed up moved half way across the world. I am so glad things are going well for you. How long will you be there. Time is just flying. Dave says hi!

Sara Andrews said...

Thanks! Well the plan was to only be there until November, but they would like me to stay until next February to end the school year with the same kids. I'm thinking I probably will stay until February if I like my class and things are going well. It is only an extra 3 months and I would get to come home for Christmas... We'll see how it goes ;) Thanks for writing!