Saturday, December 4, 2010

The most fun I've ever had getting my haircut...

This morning I went to the church to help wrap presents for both the orphanage and missionaries. I thought it would be a good way to get involved and meet people too. It was really fun! I talked to a lot of people while we were wrapping too. Man, I never knew wrapping could be so complicated! We had to match like items for each family and then label who gets what item and the number. It was stressful! Just kidding :) I talked a lot with a young woman and her husband. They are living here on an american army base. She was so nice and fun to talk with. It's really nice to go to a church with almost all young people. Everyone is very friendly. I'm starting to get to know people now and it's cool to have people call me by name. I found out the English part of the church is about 1,500 people and then the Korean part of the church is MUCH bigger. They didn't say how many.

I just got back from getting my haircut. All of the other girls at my school go to a far away place to get their haircut where the hairstylists are trained in London and it costs $30. I'm not too particular about haircuts, so I just went to one of the three salons on the way to my school. It is called "Kim Jungs Hair Art." I wasn't so sure I wanted them making art with my hair, but I figured I would give it a try anyway.

I just chose the one that was the least busy. When I walked in, the place had about 5 women in there. It turns out there is only one lady cutting hair and the other middle aged ladies just sit in there all day to talk! When I walked in, they were very excited to say the least! They tried to speak to me in Korean but when they realized I don't speak Korean they just laughed. The whole time I was getting my hair cut they were talking about my hair, the color, the texture, my body, my age, everything! They just kept starring and giggling at me. They were such happy ladies and they enjoyed having me! The gave me coffee and a heated seat. They took care of me! After she'd cut my hair, she styled it. She gave me ringlets! Haha. I think she just wanted to play with my hair longer. I almost fell asleep while she was playing with my hair because it felt so good.

The best part is...it was only $5! Score. I'm pretty sure they told me to come back soon (that's what I interpreted from their giggling and thumbs up as I went out the door). I will be going back!

This week one of my students asked if my hair is really black and I dye it blonde! They have no concept of having naturally blonde hair! He said I would look better with black hair... I don't think I'll try it.

No comments: