Sunday, October 7, 2012

Wake Up!

It seems every afternoon, I have a different student fall asleep during class!  At first I took it personally and figured I needed to spice up the lessons.  I got the students up and moving from one part of the room to the other.  I thought if I kept asking the sleepy girl questions, surely she would wake up.  No joke, she fell asleep while standing and answering my question!!  I couldn't help but smile.  After all, that has got to be pretty hard to do!  When I asked her why she was so tired, she told me that she just stayed up too late.  Sometimes I forget these are little kids.  I forget they are only 6 and can only hold so much information in one day. 

I wish I had about 7 helpers in my class!  My students need individual help.  They are at such different levels that they all need specific teaching, tailored to them.  School has changed...a lot.  There is so much pressure from the state to get my kids to grade level (which ideally is a good thing) but the state doesn't know my individual students!  Yes, I do think teachers should be held accountable, but it doesn't seem fair that I have to get all of my students up to grade level in order to keep my job. 

God keeps reminding me that first I am accountable to Him.  Yes, my goal is to teach my students as much as possible, but more importantly God wants me to accurately represent Him and teach these kids in the way He would teach them. 



1 comment:

Joshua said...

I love reading these! They make me smile as I can picture you talking with a student, as her eyes close, and the smile creep up on your face. You are such a great woman! I am a very lucky man.
-Josh