Sunday, October 21, 2012

When the science experiment doesn't work

It's pretty fun to be a teacher of 6 year olds.  They have only been alive for 6 years, probably only 3 of which they remember.  They have not seen much yet in their lives!  On Thursday I took a picture of a gorgeous sunrise over my apartment.  When they looked at my picture, they didn't just say, "Oh yeah...I've seen one of those before..."  They ooooed and aaaawwed and told me that it looked like the sky was on fire!  Everything is rather dramatic when you are 6. 

I must admit, sometimes I use this to my advantage :)  In our science lessons I am teaching about the Water Cycle and evaporation.  I get to see the lightbulbs go on!  It's fun to see them show a sense of amazement at things we take for granted every day.  When was the last time you thought about how puddles dry up and evaporate to make clouds that will rain down again?

I get to see them think about and experience new things that they've never thought about before, even though half of the time I am "fudging" the science experiment (putting things in the refridgerator, pouring out water down the drain when they aren't looking, in order to fake evaporation :) haha).  The science experiments don't always work (well usually don't).  Our world is an intricately crafted place, in which all of the pieces work together perfectly.  Whereas we adults are bored by the world and just expect it to rotate around the sun at 1000 miles per hour without flinging us off...the kids are simply in awe.

No comments: