Monday, October 8, 2012

In the spirit of Halloween

I don't know what made me think of this, but it made me smile, so I thought I'd share...

Once upon a time in a faraway land when I lived in Korea, there lived a spider.  It was a relatively big one that apparently moved quite swiftly.  It liked to take walks along the river walk in Seoul.  So did I.  One night as the sun went down I sat down on the walk and dangled my feet on the edge of the Han River.  As I sat there, I noticed I was both the only girl and only young person sitting by the river.  I was joined by curious old fisherman, who seemed to fish all day and all night (yet never once did I see anyone catch a fish in the river).  They sat in their groups, fishing and chatting.  Since everyone (especially young people) are always hustling and bustling around, usually watching tv on their phones as they walk, these old men wondered why I would just want to come and sit. 

As I sat, I noticed the spider, a safe distance away from me.  As I was enjoying the Seoul skyline, I kept one I glued on the spider, just in case it decided to creep up on me.  I watched it for a long time.  I thought, "I better keep an I eye on it because it would be just my luck that it would crawl on me without me knowing it."  I kept watching it.  It seemed to be stalled out in one place.

I looked over at the old men and I tried to eavesdrop on their conversation (which is much harder to do in a foreign language!)  When I looked back, the spider was gone.  I figured it had wandered away to find more exciting scenery.  Wrong!  When I looked down, it was on my knee!  How in the world it got from the path to my knee in that short of a time is a good question! 

I went into a fit, trying to get it off and I'm pretty sure I let out a little yelp!  I'm glad to say I got the spider off, but I also gained an audience roaring with laughter!  The old men thought whatever my "fit" was about was absolutely hilarious.  I'm glad my embarrassment provided them entertainment.  As I left the scene (rather quickly) the men were still cackling about the young white girl spazzing out because of a spider!

No comments: