Monday, October 31, 2011

One Year Ago








One year ago I left on a plane to come to Korea. I'd always had a dream to live in a different country, yet I thought it was just that, a dream. I actually don't even remember applying to this job in Korea, so I was surprised when the recruiter asked for an interview. It was scary when it came time to sign the contract. Even though I was pretty unsure about the whole thing, I knew it was what God was prompting me to do. Though it had been my dream, the reality of the whole thing (a whole year, a different country, a different language...) was a little to real. God kept nudging me to do it though, and eventually I decided to go.


That day a year ago on the plane was hard. I remember sitting on the plane, teary, thinking, "God why are you asking me to do this!? Can't you see this is hard for me!?"


Tonight I sat by the river. My favorite place in Korea is sitting by the river, dangling my feet over the edge, looking at all the city lights and watching the subway trains go back and forth across the bridge. As I sat there tonight, I realized how content I am.


I have absolutely loved my time here in Korea. Almost everyday I walk out of my apartment and think, "I am so happy to be here!" I have a good job, a wonderful group of friends, a great church and I am just so fulfilled. Why is it that I am SO happy here? Is it Korea? Is it just this time in my life? I think the reason is simply that this is the first time I've been in the center of God's will. All my life so far I'd made decisions on my own. I decided to go to Spring Arbor University. I decided what I would study. This is the first time in my life that I think I truly surrendered to His will. I think that's why my heart is so full here.


God didn't put me here to watch me suffer. He placed me here, for this year (and a few extra months) to show me His faithfulness and to prove to me that He truly want me to be so fulfilled and joyful. I can honestly say that the blessings are just running over right now! My time is getting close to an end and I want to make the most of all of it!

2 comments:

Amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy said...

Hi Sara!

I recently accepted a job at Jamsil LCI Kids Club and will be starting January 6. I began looking at reviews and blogs to get other peoples' insight, and I just wanted to say that reading your blog has been really encouraging! I'm getting very excited to come over (nervous of course, but mostly excited!), and hearing about your experiences with the students and the culture has made me all the more excited. :) If you have any advice for a new employee, I'd love to hear it!

-Amy