Saturday, October 15, 2011

Loud and Proud



This week I went to a two night conference at our church to hear Francis Chan. He is a pastor from California and has written serval books. I would say he has been one of the most influencial people in my Christian life. I was so excited that he came to Korea, to my church! It was at the main Korean campus, so it was a Korean service, and Francis was translated. This was really my first experience in a Korean service. So interesting. I was kind of surprised at how modern the building was and how "flashy" the atmosphere was, with colored lights, fancy sound systems and the best video equipment. I thought it was so cool when we started to sing. The words were both in English and Korean on the screen. We sang songs I knew! I was so cool that they sing the same songs we do, just in Korean... They had some of their own songs too, of course. I must say, they sing LOUD.


They also pray LOUD. I don't think I've ever heard prayers that loud before! Oh man, if I didn't know what was going on, I think I might have been scared. There was also something cool about it though, cause they were obviously passionately praying. All I grew up seeing were polite, quiet prayers, but I think it's ok to be loud too.


It was awesome to see about 2,000 people gathered on a weeknight all worshiping God. There's something that gets me everytime I worship in a different culture. I remember saying the same thing about China. There is something so special about being surrounded by Koreans, singing the same song, to the same God, halfway around the world. I was trying to follow along in Korean...except I only could on the slow songs cause I can't read Korean very fast :)


I think subconsiously I have this mindset that Christianity is an "American" thing. I didn't realize I thought this until that first night at the conference. When actually, most of the Christians are not in America! I had heard a couple things about the Korean church that caused me to go in with an idea that there was something wrong with it. I was proved wrong though. I think there are some things we could even learn from the Korean church.


Before the message, they all sang this song, which they must sing every time they gather. I know have any idea what it said, but they were all rocking left to right, lifting their hands to welcome one another. A couple Korean old ladies did this to me, which I assume they were just blessing me. Yes it was kind of corny, but also kind of cool. Then they stretched their hands out to Francis Chan and sang another song, which I imagine was praying for him to deliver the Holy Spirit's message.


Francis Chan's talks were pretty convicting and great, just as I assumed they would be. It was so good to hear him in person!




No comments: