Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Through a window

The other night, a few of us who stayed for both session were feeling a little discouraged. I was about to go to bed, but two of them asked me if I wanted to go with them to go sing and jam out in the middle of the basketball court. So we ended up sitting out there for 2 hours justing singing praying, and enjoying the 5 Beijing stars in the sky :)(because of pollution). We were thinking, here we are sitting in China, a communist country singing worship songs and praying. We have all the freedom in the world at home, and none of us do this at home. Hmm... Then we discovered that the gates to our dorms closed at 11:00, so we had to crawl in a back window!
Yesterday I had my class cut out magazine pictures and paste them on a paper to describe themselves. Then they came to the front to tell us about their picture. One man, the lowest in our class, came to the front obviously very nervous because his english level is so low. He had glued a picture of a woman in a hospital bed, and had written the word, "HELP!" next to it. He said, "I know my english is very poor. Please help me! I need you to help!" Wow, what do you say to that!? I know he doesn't understand a lot of what I say in class, but he is the happiest guy. He is always in a good mood and always smiling. At meals he is always sitting next to an American because even though he can't understand a lot, he wants to try and listen. He thinks maybe just by listening he can get better. I have never seen students so motivated to learn. I have something (English) that they want so desperately. There is a big difference in the high and low students. I think my low students are so much more grateful and receptive to learning. Most of them this time are poor, so they are so glad for any help that they can get!

No comments: