Saturday, August 15, 2009

Journals

This afternoon I have the day off, so I am sitting in Starbucks reading my students journals. I feel like a real teacher! I have always wanted to grade school work in a coffee shop :) It's funny because here in Starbucks there are probably more foreigners than Chinese people. I am sitting next to two Americans who are debating politics and Obama. BORING. These journals are amazing. They have such limited vocabulary, but their words are so powerful. It's funny to read the things that they say about me. It's strange that small conversations with them have such an impact. A student that I'm not particularly close with said, "You are changing me from the inside." Woah.
It's sad to think that I only have 12 more days in China. I will be ready to go home, but I feel like I have so much work to do here before I leave. I have a feeling some of it will go unfinished. Just like the kids camp, it started badly, but now it is wonderful. It's so amazing how things can change in only 6 days. They are getting braver, and they are interacting all the time now. Each one has formed close friendships in the classroom. I feel like a proud mother, as I watch them help and encourage each other. Group work is the key. They feel so much more confident when they see that the others are putting themselves out there too.
At the end of the session each one will give a speech. I told them that I would give one too, as an example. Oh boy, what did I get myself into? I don't know what to speak about yet.
I've decided when I teach in the states I will use a microphone! I have a soar throat every day from talking so much and so loudly.

2 comments:

Vicki Aeschliman said...

I will so miss your blog entries when you are back in the states. At least I won't have to worry about you. It is amazing how much I think of you when I watch the news. Things happening in China mean so much more when you know someone there.

Sara Andrews said...

Wow! Thanks! It's crazy how much happens here that I don't know about. None of the news worthy things have effected me here. Usually I don't know what happens until my mom tells me! Funny. Thanks for your thoughts :)