Monday, August 24, 2009

The lasts

As each day gets closer to the end, we all get more and more sad. Yesterday I had all of the students write a letter to me. Today they gave them to me, and they were beautiful. One lady came and sat next to me. She is very quiet, because her English is not good. She wanted to read her letter to me personally. She began to read. At the end, she said, "There is A LOT more I want to say to you, but I can't. It's too hard to find the vocabulary. I'm so sorry..." She cried. In general, the Chinese people don't show affection. They hardly ever say "I love you." To hear that from so many students really is special. I opened one letter, and the equivalent of a $100 bill fell out! The woman said she wanted to get me a gift, but she is not allowed off campus. She said, "This is the best that I can do for you right now." I know that is a lot of money for her! It's almost like the words "thank you" aren't good enough.
Four more days and I will be home! So close. I'm excited for the airport and the plane ride, even though it's 13 hours. I like to fly. I will go start packing :)

I ventured to a Bakery to buy a cake for our class party on Wednesday. It took me 20 minutes for the woman to guess what day I wanted it on! Then it took another 10 to tell her what time I would come to pick it up. Hopefully there really will be a cake for me when I go! I suppose if there is no cake, I will run to the store and we will celebrate with Hostess upcakes, with chopsticks of course :)

P.S. My favorite student's name this session is Dinosaur. Hah!...Dinosaur...You can hardly call his name seriously.

No comments: