Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Almost there

Well I'm almost a week away from the end. I think I will be ready to come home. Three of my friends are leaving this week, because they have to go home early. They have all been here for 2 months also, so it will be hard to say goodbye to them. We kind of clung to each other because we were in it for the long stretch.
Things I am excited to do at home:
-Eat American food (Chinese Cafeteria food is getting kind of old)
-See my family
-Eat deserts
-Play the piano
-Get on Facebook (since it's blocked in China)
-Sleep on my bed

There are still quite a few things on my list to do here though too. I want to get my haircut here (hopefully it turns out ok!). I went shopping today. I was really excited to get "The purpose driven Life" for my Christian student. I hope she hasn't read it yet. It's funny because I just feel like buying all of my students things, but I shouldn't because it would be expensive. I almost feel like Chinese money is play money since things are so cheap. That is a bad mindset to have! :)
A new group from Oregon came a few days ago on a trip from their church. I talked to one older man for quite a while one evening. He was telling me that he had been to China 3 times. He was talking about things here. But I did not agree with a lot of what he said. He had only stayed here for 2 weeks each time. He did not realize that it takes about a month here before you hit the wall and realize that like every country, there are some problems. I do love the people here! But, honestly, I don't think that I will be back to China. I want to explore other parts of the world. It's hard to tell my students that I won't be back, because of course they all want me to come visit their hometowns. They say, "Welcome to my hometown!" This is what we call Chinglish (a mix between Chinese and English). They mean, you are welcome in my hometown. At first when they all said this I would think it was so funny, but now it seems normal and I almost forget it's chinglish!
I suppose nothing too exciting has happened in the last few days. Hopefully I will have some more good stories as the days come to an end here. I'll write back soon!

No comments: