Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Two Dollars

On Friday, little Alex came in with a sparkle in her eye as she showed me her two dollar bills and some spare change in her change purse.  She told me that she wanted to buy me a present.  I assured her she didn't have to buy me something with her well saved money.  I totally forgot about that conversation.

On Monday, she came in beaming.  She had wrapped a present for me in a Dollar Store plastic bag.  She stood expectantly, waiting for me to open the plastic bag.  With her two dollars, she had bought me a beaded chain for my recess whistle and a little box of chocolate!  She watched carefully as I took off my old chain, threw it away and put my whistle on her new beaded chain.  I think she was waiting for me to "try it out," but I assured her that I would blow the whistle for her when we went outside for recess.

Though a chain and box of chocolate might not look like much in the eyes of the world, she used the only money she had to buy me a present from the Dollar Store.  It means a lot to me!

No comments: