Thursday, March 24, 2011

My snack is better than your snack!

Everyday I usually eat lunch in about 15 minutes and then I still have 45 minutes to just relax before my hour is up. Lately, the weather has been pretty nice so I go to the park/ playground beside our school. This park is really the playground for the public school across the street. It's interesting to sit on the bench and watch the kids play at their Korean school. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to be an English teacher at a public school. Anyway, as I was just sitting there spacing out, enjoying the sun, a girl came running up to me yelling, "Teacher Teacher!" I was confused because these are public school kids...I thought she just wanted to say hi to the 'foreign" teacher. It turns out that she goes to my school after Korean school and she knew where I worked. She introduced me to all of her friends (and her mom too!) She grabbed my hand and took me over to where her friends were digging in some dirt. As I peered into the tiny whole, I saw a big cement chunck, which she proudly exclaimed was a dinosaur bone! Haha. I guess kids have to get creative in the city!

In one of my afternoon classes, the kids always bring a snack because the class is from 4:00-6:00. Some of the students bring some pretty extravagant snacks! It's funny to watch them trade and barter for the other snacks. I can see the wheels turning in their heads, trying to decide if it's a good trade or not.

I am writing this as my students are in music class now. Right before I took them to music, my littlest girl came up to me doing the potty dance and said, "I want to poop." I couldn't help but laugh as I told her a more polite way to say, "May I use the bathroom" :)

1 comment:

Daniel said...

I read this to a couple people in my house a while ago and "I want to poop" seems to have become a catchphrase around here.