Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Importance

Last week Josh's grandfather passed away...  It was a crazy week to say the least.  I went to spend time with his grandpa in the hospital a few late nights last week.  On one of the days, Josh and I were alone with him and got to spend time, talk and sing hymns to calm his spirit.  He was conscious and even joking with us.  Though he was extremely uncomfortable with tubes, wires and machines all hooked up to him, he enjoyed our time together.  It was really special to me.

He asked us, Josh in particular, to not leave.  I suppose like anyone he was afraid to be alone at such a scary time.  He also fought sleep because he wanted to stay awake  as long as possible.  Josh was the perfect grandson and stayed all night long both nights, even when it meant sleeping on the floor or in a hospital chair!

On Friday, we have no doubt that his grandpa went home to be with the Lord!  Josh was able to talk to him the last few months about Jesus and Heaven!  What an opportunity!

This has made me think a bit differently about my students.  It's moments like these, as well as the school shooting earlier in the year, that remind that life is so fragile.  Today could be their last...I cannot let a student leave at the end of the day thinking I'm upset with them.  In the grand scheme of things, a student's tendency to talk a little too much or lean back in his chair is not important.

No comments: