Sunday, November 4, 2012

Election Day in First Grade

The first graders have spoken and the ballots have been cast!  On Friday we did a mock election.  It was pretty funny to hear what they have to say about both candidates (or rather what their parents have to say!)  We had an official looking ballot, complete with the student's name, address, teacher, etc.  Many ended up in tears because they didn't know their address....oops!  Many days I say the phrase, "Is it the end of the world if..."  For example, "Is it the end of the world if you don't get to be first in line?"  One boy busted out crying because he didn't know his address.  The girl next to him leaned over and very seriously said, "Is it the end of the world if you don't know your address?"  Haha, it made me smile.  It's interesting and a little unnerving how much they repeat what I say!  Anyway, we put our ballots in a box and tallied up the votes.

One girl last week said, "Miss Hornback, guess what!? Mitt Romney lives on my street! I know it's his house because he put his sign in his front yard!!"



I gave the kids the journal prompt "If I were president, I would..."   Here's what a couple came up with:

-  "If Miss Hornbayk wus presdint, I wod be hapy and I wod do wat she sez."

-  "If I wuz the pezutint I wud make 1000 of money!  And by my mom a NEW car!  And then I will go home."

-  "If i wer the prasndnt i wood rase taxis and git mor jobs and help Amuricka a lot.  And makc money.  Lots of money.  But i am not the prasndnt."


What!?  He either watches a lot of TV commercials or listens in on his parents conversations!



No comments: