Saturday, January 7, 2012

What I miss






On Tuesday, I got off work a couple hours early. I decided to enjoy the snowy day. It doesn't snow often in Seoul, so it was fun to take a walk around the lake and watch the huge flakes fall. To the adults, snow seems to be an annoyance. They carry umbrellas or sheild themselves with a paper to avoid the snow falling on them. The kids on the other hand, love it! All last winter I was curious when they said they made a snowman. I wondered how they even found enough snow! Turns out, their idea of a snowman is about 6 inches tall! Haha! All of the store owners either sweep the snow off their sidewalk with a broom, or a cardboard box. Seems like a shovel would be easier, but to each his own!

I finally had time to journal about my time at home. After a busy week at home, a busy week back at school and trying to catch up on sleep, I had been putting off my thoughts. These are some of the things that I miss:

Things I miss about America, when I'm living in Korea:
- Family
- Friends
- Bathtub
- Driving (and for that matter, traffic laws being obeyed ;))
- Open space
- Sidewalks
- Understanding everything (I found myself eavesdropping on every conversation, simply because I could! I was constantly aware of what was going on)
- Food (especially my moms!)

Things I miss about Korea, when I'm in the States:
- Friends
- Church
- Culture
- Food (surprisingly I missed rice!!)
- Safety
- Public Transportation

It's too bad I can't have both at the same time...

My sister, Beth, gave me a job opportunity this week. Her old roommate is an editor of an online publication, in which she has different people post blogs about current events/culture around the world. She asked me to write 6 blogs for this website, until I leave Korea. Then she would like me to write 2 about Thailand before I come home. I will even get paid quite well to do it! Wow, what an awesome opportunity! I will get paid, to do something I love! Pretty cool that it just fell in my lap :) Who knows, maybe it could even lead to something else!

No comments: