Monday, September 26, 2011

No Teacher, I didn't break the pencil

We had a little pencil dilemma today... The kids are always comparing pencils, seeing whose is sharpest or longest. For them, this is a big deal! I've told them before, that as long as it still writes, they don't need to use the pencil sharpener. I said this because the pencil sharpener, is this mysterious item that is soooo tempting to them. Once one kid uses it, suddenly they all NEED to. One of my boys held up the pencil and said, "Teacher, Pencil sharpener?" I said no, because it was sharp enough. Not even a minute later, he held it up and said, "Teacher, broken!" I knew exactly what happened. I knew he stuck his pencil the the table crack to break it, just so that he would get a new (sharp) pencil. I asked him how it broke. He said, "Someone broke it!" Haha, someone huh? There was no one else around. I kept asking him because I wanted him to tell the truth. He continued to make an elaborate story of how a ghost came in and broke the pencil when I wasn't looking." Riiiiight. :) It's funny how kids think they can fool adults. I knew all along he was lying, I just wanted him to admit that it truly was himself who broke the pencil. It was a little hard to keep a straight face when he busted out the ghost story! :) Lying is so tempting to kids... The chin began to quiver when I told him that now I don't know when he is lying or telling the truth. Even after all the naughty things they do, at the end of the day, they still want to please those who care about them!

No comments: