Saturday, April 16, 2011

What a day





Yesterday was probably the most interesting day I've had in Korea. I signed up with a couple of my co-workers to go to a cherry blossom festival about 2 hours away. At 8:00am we hopped on a tour bus headed for the fesival. As I'm finding, things are never quite the way I expect them to be here. In general, Koreans don't seem to be too concerned about specifics, such as times, places, etc. I told my friend Clara, that a year ago, this would have driven me nuts, but I'm learning to be ok with "going with the flow."


First stop on our tour bus was...the "mysterious" cave. We got out and walked through this cave. It was sadly dissappointing. There were so many man-made things in the cave and it was totally commercialized, that we kind of laughed about it the whole way through. The cave in China was way cooler.


Next we went to the cherry blossom festival. The trees were beautiful and the festival was kind of fun. I think that my group of girls was really more of the attraction than the festival, since we didn't see many other foreigners. A group of middle school girls came up to us to ask to get their picture taken with us.


Then...was the really fun part of the day! Before I tell you what I did, I must say that everyone here thinks I lead the most boring life! Because I don't go out drinking or partying with my co-workers, they think I don't do anything fun. One of the other teachers this week even asked me, "Sara, do you ever go out?" Hah! :) I told her that even though my life might seem boring to her, I enjoy it!


So, considering I never really do anything crazy, I did it. I went bungee jumping! It was the scariest, craziest, most fun thing I've ever done. I've always had a desire to do it, but I thought I'd always be too chicken. When all of the girls in my group decided to do it, I took the opportunity too. It feels good to overcome such a big fear like that. Here is a picture before I went up...



To add to our day of funny/fun experiences, our bus got lost on the way home and we ended up a little far from our apartments. By this time, we were all so tired from a packed day, that we just laughed and laughed. I laughed so hard yesterday that my abs hurt today. Who needs to do sit ups when you are around funny people all day!

No comments: