Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Compassion

After my students get unpacked and do their "morning work," they sit down on the carpet and I have a few people share something.  Of course, they all raise their hands, thinking what they have to say is so much more important that what everyone else has to say.  I'm pretty sure that they're not even listening to their friends because they are so focused on waving their arm so that I can see THEIR hand.  This is sometimes accompanied by a scrunching of the face and an occassional "ooo oooo." Haha!

Yesterday, I could tell that a few of the students looked like they were in a bad mood, so I asked them how they were feeling.  After a few answered, one asked me.  "Miss Hornback, how are you feeling today?"  I said, "Well, actually I'm a little sad.  My friend Josh's grandpa is in the hospital and he has a big surgery today.  He has a "broken" heart and they are trying to fix it so he will be healthy again."  After a little more explanation, I looked over and saw Bailey, hunched over, shoulders shaking, with her hand over her mouth.  I thought I must have missed something.  Maybe someone said something mean to her...

"Bailey, what's wrong?"  She said in between sobs, "It's just so sad!!"  Then the tears started falling...

My first reaction was to laugh (don't worry I didn't!).  How funny that she was so sad because she knew I was sad.  I brought her over and hugged her, thanking her for being sad with me.  She was so sweet.  In the mean time, the rest of the class was looking very confused, giggling.  :) 

It's just so foreign to us that someone would actually share in our burdens.  Who would have thought a 6 year old would teach me a lesson on compassion!

No comments: