Sunday, March 11, 2012

That's a Wrap

I made it back to the States! 5 flights, two days and two nights made me really appreciate my bed at home :) So far jetlag hasn't slowed me down too much. I think it's going to take some adjusting back into American culture...I was a bit overwhelmed with all the choices at Meijer when I went to by some things, haha, but everything else seems pretty much how I left it.

All the travel time gave me plenty of time to reflect on my time in Thailand. Here are some of the things I learned:

In living with the missionary family this week, I learned how awesome it is to see a married couple doing ministry together. Both the husband and the wife were working towards the same goal and the same mission. I also learned that missionary life can be very normal. God gives us each a calling. The specific calling is different for each person, shown sometimes through the opening and closing of doors. The calling on my life is to be done wherever I am. A missionary is just someone who does that work in a different place. Really, wherever I am, I should be doing that same work, whether in Korea, Thailand or America. I used to wish I had different gifts, personality or abilities, but God has given me exactly what I need to accomplish His calling. Saying mine aren't good enough would be insulting Him.

It was interesting to see various different ministries last week, both big and small. I saw that it doesn't matter the size or appearance. The most important thing is that it starts with one. It starts with one person mentoring/discipling another until the disciple is ready to disciple another. Though it seems like a small impact, the ripple effect could be huge. People are people. No matter where in the world I go, people are hurting and in need of a savior. Rather than glazing the surface with many, it's more important to invest first in one.

Everything in my life right now is kind of on hold. Waiting is one of the hardest things for a Christian to do because it makes us feel so helpless. Well wishing people keep asking what I will do now, and honestly I don't know. I am applying to jobs but really it's out of my hands and into God's. I'm learning that waiting should be an active process. It's not sitting back and doing nothing, but it's allowing God to change me while I'm waiting. Waiting allows, or rather forces, me to rely on the power of prayer. And that is a good thing!

Thanks to everyone who continued to read throughout the last year and half. I hope my jumbled thoughts gave you some insight into my time in Korea. I've enjoyed writing so much that even though I'm back in the States, I may continue to occasionally write about my relfections on life. Signing off from Korea and signing in from America...That's a wrap!

3 comments:

Mallary said...

I totally agree. It always starts by focusing on one life which is something you can do in any country of the world.

I look forward to seeing where the Father leads you next!

Becca said...

This is one beautiful blog (the whooooole thing), and its written by one beautiful woman. I'm so happy for you and your time of waiting Sara, and I hope it is a rich time for you!

Tasha said...

WE MISS YOU!!! But it was really nice getting to you know and I a excited at what God has in store for your life. I know it's going to be a GRAND adventure and you will be BLESSED incredibly! :)